Salem Reformed Church Bethel , Pa

A Lutheran named Gottfried Rehrer - village of Rehrersburg namesake - & his wife Eva of the Reformed faith ,donated 2.5 acres of land to the Reformed congregation , known as the Tulpehocken Charge &  organized by the first Pastor , Rev.William Hendel Jr. A church cornerstone was laid on Ascension Day ,May 31 , 1810.

The Salem German Reformed Church, which was the original name , was built mainly by the hands of its own members.The north wall stones were quarried from the local Bordner farm ,original church members.Stone from the other three walls were quarried from the nearby Blue Mtns.

The church still houses the Dieffenbach organ , built in 1872 , by Thomas Dieffenbach , Bethel's local organ builder.

The church name , Salem , which means Peace , is written in German & is found on a tablet stone centered on the northern outside wall. It reads "Friedsamme Salem's Kirche".

Salem Reformed Church is located in Bethel Township , Berks County , south of the village of Bethel , which means House of God.